Halloween or Hallo~weenie...

Well I really LOVED this blog by Steve Bell in fact I am sharing the link for it on my Facebook...then I was reading all the comments.....WOW some are very opinionated on this subject. So I got to thinking about what I think about Halloween....Here is where I am coming from. Growing up it was always one of my favorite times of year, when I was a kid it was like what I read in this post, Family and friends getting together dressing up and having a good time. MY aunts and Uncles, cousins and even grandparents would try to out do the other in all their costume making efforts and My grandpa even went as a white Tina Turner one year....there were MANY years of GREAT costumes as a kid and I even remember a FANTASIC one of Grover that I wore once  around 14 and little kids thought I was the real deal! As I got older I realized all those great costumes worn by family were worn to parties and Bars to win costume contests and here in Manitoba there are socials to honor the event. I sady see young girls competing to look as (putting it nicely) trashy as they can and pictures flood the internet of their Sexy nurse, Sexy vampire, Sexy this and Sexy that, and it makes me sad to see it all. I remember the creativity it would take to make a sinking Titanic costume or the cast of Shrek and when did the wholesomeness of little kids dressing up lose to the sexy in society. I KNOW the origins of Halloween are not light, but we can change it to meeting up with neighbors in your community and having a great night with our Children. I want my kids to have fond memories of dressing up in homemade costumes and walking around town getting treats to last them a few months. I want my kids to look back as adults and say I remember Mom and Dad dressing up with us to go trick or treating as Mario characters. And when they are too old for trick or treating I WILL offer a safe place for them and their friends to come dress up in appropriate costumes to have snacks and play games and have FUN with this time of year that can be just as inocent as when I was little. I dont want my kids to miss out because we are Christians and live sheltered from this day and all its fun, I think it is important to teach your kids to follow what is truth in Jesus and have your fun living as an example while knowing what that truth is. If my kids grow up to love Halloween like I do and chose to have alternative fun compared to bars, social and drunk it up parties then I think we are doing well in the Christian parenting being an example area. I support Halloween on MY terms not the world's. SO we pray for the lost before we go out and we pray for our safety physically and spritually and we head out with our pillowcases in tote and our costumes pinned in place. Happy Halloween to you Reader!!!
enjoy
TRICK~or~TREAT!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment